The purpose of the Royal Air Force Museum is to tell the story of the Royal Air Force through its people and collections. This means that:
- For our visitors, we make our collections and the RAF story relevant and stimulating
- For current and former RAF personnel and their families, we preserve, honour and share the stories of their service
- For our nation, we help people to understand the impact of the RAF in the world
- The Museum’s ambition is to ensure that the Royal Air Force’s story endures and enriches future generations
The Museum occupies two public sites at Colindale in North London, and Cosford in Shropshire, West Midlands. Each site offers a unique experience for the visitor and the exhibits complement each other. Both Museums are free to enter and open daily from 10 am. At each site you will find a world-class collection and display of aircraft, integrated with special exhibitions, films, interactives, artwork, engines, missiles, photographs, medals and uniforms plus research and education facilities, enabling the Museum to take an innovative approach to telling the RAF’s story whilst keeping with tradition.
The Royal Air Force Museum American Foundation (RAFMAF) ensures that the shared aviation heritage of the USA and the UK is kept alive in the memories of our two great nations.
RAFMAF supports and enhances the work of the RAF Museum and aims to:
- To preserve our shared aviation heritage for future generations.
- To champion those common values of self-sacrifice, citizenship, and service to the country that permit our respective services to respond to the challenges of the preservation of freedom and peace.
- To strengthen and to educate present and future generations about the importance of the special UK/US relationship within the field of aviation.
- To commemorate the sacrifice of the airmen of our two nations.
- To generate an understanding and interest among our youth of the shared aviation cultures, and about science and technology
The Royal Air Force Museum American Foundation is a qualified tax-exempt organization under IRS Section 501(c)(3). It is a non-profit corporation and donations are tax-deductible under US law.
IRS certification number: 30-0075287
If you are an American citizen and would like to make a donation to the Foundation please click here